So here we are, Game 6 and our backs are against the wall. The Devils put forth, what I thought was a pretty crappy effort in Game 5 but still had a chance late in the game to find the equalizer until Marty made a mistake and came out of his net. How do the Devils respond at home tonight? The last time we were here and needed to respond, the Devils did so in a big way. The only thing that matters tonight is a win which forces one more game where it becomes anyone's series. But tonight it's a must win, win or go home.
Keys To The Game:
- Play a full 60 minutes. We’ve only seen NJ do that in one game this series and that was the 4-0 shutout win in Game 4.
- Play consistent hockey and try to minimize the turnovers and mistakes that Florida seems to have been able to capitalize on over and over again.
- Get the puck to the net. You can’t put the puck in the net if you don’t get the puck to the net. Stop being cute with it and just fire it.
- And for GOD SAKES, STAY OUT OF THE BOX!!!
Things I will Be Watching
- How does Marty respond to Game 4? Honestly, his mistake at the end was huge and just took NJ right out of the game. By the looks of it, he knew that because you could tell that he was just completely upset with himself.
- How does Zach respond to being down 3-2 in the series?. If the Devils fail tonight, a lot will be made about his leadership qualities and that he just can’t seem to get out of the first round. Doesn’t mean they entire league won’t come knocking on July 1 but comments will still be made.
- A loss tonight could mean the last we see of Zach Parise and Marty Brodeur in a Devils uniform, so this is certainly a game to watch! (not that I feel we will lose tonight).
- Word on the street is that Kovalchuk might have some kind of injury. He’s been off this series so maybe but I will be watching him a little closer tonight.
A Plea to the Devils
Last night marked the last time we will see the NJ Nets play a home game in the state of New Jersey. I’m not ready to put the 2010/2011 season to bed just yet, so please, dig deep and fight to survive.
Florida Panthers president Michael Yormark has spent the last 24 hours sparring with Devils fans on Twitter. It all seemed to start when he announced that Florida won’t be selling those plastic rats at their home games and said the reason was because the visiting fans, not the Panthers fans were the ones responsible for throwing them on the ice during game play the other night. It’s pretty sad that the president of an organization would attack another organizations fan base. Truth is, the Panthers have been an irrelevant part of the NHL for a long time now. Their biggest claim to fame is a dead rat followed closely by an appearance in a Stanley Cup Final where they were swept out of. Yes, you lead this series and yes you might win this series but you are still an irrelevant hockey organization that hasn’t really done much but tread water over the last 10 years. So Mchael Yormark, please try and show a little class?